Who is it for?
This course is suitable for people aged 18+ who care for children in any professional setting.
It is ideal for:
- au pairs
- nursery and pre-school workers
- sport and leisure staff
- crèche leaders
- anyone responsible for the welfare of children.
The paediatric first aid course is recognised by Ofsted and includes additional content suitable for an appointed person in the workplace.
If you don't need first aid training for work reasons but would like to learn first aid for babies and children, we also offer first aid courses for members of the public. Our popular first aid for baby and child course is perfect for new and expectant parents, grandparents and carers.
Course content includes:
The British Red Cross is recognised as a standard setter in paediatric first aid training, as set out in the Early Years Foundation Stage framework (EYFS).
This course covers how to help a baby or child who:
- is unresponsive and breathing
- is unresponsive and not breathing
- is choking
- is bleeding
- is burnt or has a scald
- has an object in their eye, ear or nose
- has hypothermia or heat exhaustion
- has sickness or a fever
- has a medical emergency, including:
- diabetic emergency
- asthma attack
- severe allergic reaction (anaphylactic shock)
- sickling crisis
- has an injury to a bone muscle or joint (including spinal injuries)
- has a head injury
- has swallowed something harmful.
The course also includes basic adult first aid skills, details on accident reporting and administering medication for those working in a childcare setting.
On successful completion of this course, you will receive a paediatric first aid certificate which is valid for three years.
In line with the statutory framework for the Early Years Foundation Stage, this course can be used as evidence for an NVQ in childcare and education.
Our courses offer a practical, hands-on approach that delivers the skills and confidence to use first aid skills in a real life situation.
- be physically able to carry out the practical elements of the course
- attend all sessions to be eligible for assessment.
For more information on this course please contact us.